GOVERNor Stable Boulders
Type of climbing: Bouldering
Location: near Conoy Township Park, Elizabethtown, PA 17022 map
Land ownership and management: Private landowners
Current Access: Open from January 15th, 2017 - Aug 31st, 2017. Read and abide by the 2017 GS RULES. GS is extremely access sensitive and our cooperation is essential in keeping access for the future.
SCPC Ambassador: Ryan Shipp
Additional Information: The Governor Stable Boulders are located on private land near Bainbridge, PA. The stone is Jurassic Diabase and is only found in PA, NJ, and South Africa. With over 300 problems varying in difficulty, style, angle, and height, GS has something for everyone. This area has a rich history of access issues and climbing leases are approved only on a annual basis from the landowners. We are extremely grateful that the landowners are open to having the climbing community lease the boulders. The relationship with the landowners is dependent upon how we impact their land and how we impact the surrounding neighborhood and community. It is extremely important for all of us to follow the 2017 GS RULES to ensure that we have access to this area each year. Thank You and sign up for our mailing list to stay informed about access at GS.
2017 GS Rules
- Due to our fundraising, climbing access is free for 2017. Governor Stable is open for climbing from January 15th, 2017 to August 31th, 2017 only.
- Everyone visiting Governor Stable must be signed up for the South Central Pennsylvania Climbers mailing list. SCPC must be able to contact the climbing community in the event of a access issue or change. Sign up for this mailing list at our home page on this site.
- Drive slowly on Governor Stable Road. Park in the Conoy Township parking lot near the pavilion. This is the only parking for GS and the lot is only open from dawn until dusk. Park here.
- Once you are parked, walk down the road staying to one side and take a right onto the planks leading to our kiosk.
- No dogs or other animals are permitted at Governor Stable.
- Alcohol is prohibited.
- Keep your volume to a reasonable level. There are neighbors very close by and we want to keep a good relationship with the community.
- Climbing is only allowed from dawn until dusk. No night climbing.
- “Leave No Trace” principles must be followed at all times while at Governor Stable.
- No native rock, flora, or fauna may be removed from Governor Stable at any time.
- Camping is not permitted. The closest camping is at the Elizabethtown/Hershey KOA located 2.5 miles away.
- The Slabs and Circuit Area are owned by a different landowner and they are closed until further notice. Do not go beyond the Pyramid Boulder.
- As someone who is rightfully accessing Governor Stable, it is your duty to monitor the Governor Stable boulder field and help uphold these access rules.
- From time to time, special events or area clean ups may restrict access to Governor Stable during the access season. All closures will be announced on the South Central Pennsylvania Climbers media sites.
- If at any time you are found in violation of any of the access rules, access to Governor Stable may be revoked.
- Check the SCPC Facebook for any most recent updates at https://www.facebook.com/SCPclimbers/.
GS Guidebook (2nd edition)
The 80 page 2nd Edition GS Guide is available while supplies last. They will be sold in select climbing shops or you can purchase them directly from the author Ryan Shipp.
Here is a list of the shops that will be carrying the guide: Rock and Snow (The Gunks), Water Stone Outdoors (The New), Appalachian Outdoors (State College), Earth Treks Climbing Centers (Maryland), Doylestown Rock Gym, Climbnasium (Mechanicsburg), and The Gravity Vault (New Jersey).